I have muscles and a death wish – surely that makes me prime athlete material?

While I was turned off by that brand of total knob that epitomises university sports team culture, I did recognise the health benefits of exercise

Don’t you just love it when science backs up the things you already knew? Recent research has declared that – it’s official – boys do more exercise than girls, with working-class girls being particularly inactive, and ethnic minority girls especially. As a member of the latter demographic, I have always known this; I’d barely broken a sweat until my university days, and even that was from an especially hot Nando’s.

You see, where I was growing up (council house, east London), sports were simply not a thing. You might see the odd lad chasing a football, and if one of those lads got a trial for West Ham, you might then see him being chased (by a bunch of girls). But that was the most exercise many of us got, and at my secondary school – which had more BAME pupils than not – the girls’ PE class was the truant’s delight.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment