Fit in my 40s: Mamma mia! Can I really work out by singing Abba? | Zoe Williams

You can make your heart sing by singing, but there are physical benefits, too

Mark De-Lisser is a voice coach, lately a media one, making heart-warming reality shows in which he builds community choirs to beat loneliness, or the solitude of dementia, or just to soften the condition of being human. Many benefits are psychological, in a space beyond (but passing through) mindfulness, where you make your heart sing by singing. But there are physical benefits, too, from posture to breathing to a muscular skeletal reboot, which is why I’m in De-Lisser’s studio – though I want my heart to sing as much as the next man.

In its anteroom are photos of Mark in front of his choirs: one catches my eye, a bunch of middle-aged women, all in green evening dress like bridesmaids to a bride determined to outshine them, looking absolutely pleased as punch to be standing next to him. “I bet they’re singing Abba,” I thought. “No way on God’s Earth am I singing an Abba song.”

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment