Fit in my 40s: I’m doing yoga at home. It’s free, but can I ignore the carpet stains? | Zoe Williams

Online classes save money and time. There’s just one obvious catch

Just as you never forget how to ride a bike, so you never forget how to do a downward dog; but what goes clean out of your head, after even a brief period of absence, is why you would ever want to. Even a week off yoga more or less guarantees a massive effort to rejoin the flow. So two things would help: if you could do it at home, so that it ate only half an hour out of your day, rather than two. And if it didn’t cost anything.

Which is what brought me back to the internet: Adriene is the most famous practitioner here and also the freest, both in the sense that the tutorials don’t cost anything, and that they are incredibly easy to find and navigate. They are a bite-sized length (24 minutes) and are arranged in blocks of 30; each series starts easy and builds up. I’ve tried Adriene before, and couldn’t stick to her. That was before I realised the point of yoga by doing the 90-minute, hot-studio variety. A large part of the value is in being bored: “feel the boredom and do it anyway” was my mantra for a while. That enforced concentration on activities that are fundamentally unengaging – holding a warrior two, then doing something pretty similar and calling it warrior three – is mysteriously good for the mood (I’m avoiding the word “soul”, for no good reason).

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment