'I’ve got a drawer full of wigs – brown one day, pink the next': living with alopecia

Graeme Robertson began losing his hair at 23. Now he’s photographing others with alopecia, capturing them as they appear when they wake up and as they face the world. Interviews by Caroline Bannock

“It’s like a gun going off, and once that’s happened there’s no going back.” This is how Guardian photographer Graeme Robertson describes the onset of alopecia. Robertson developed it 17 years ago. He was 23 and covering the Iraq war, during which he witnessed the 2003 bombing of the UN building in Baghdad that killed 22 people. “I was having lunch opposite, then there were bodies everywhere,” he recalls. A few days later, “I was in the shower, when I got out, I shaved, and a 50p-size clump came off my beard.”

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment