I dithered over veganism for years – until a friend’s simple message convinced me

I’ve always cared about the planet, but giving up animal products felt daunting. Then a friendly conversation made me face up to the facts

If you had asked me three years ago if I would ever go vegan, the answer would have been a polite but firm “no”. I would have told you how I could never give up cheese and how I worried about a vegan diet being healthy. I knew that they weren’t the strongest nor the most informed of reasons, so I would have added that I only bought meat when I could afford to buy organic and British, and always bought free-range eggs. I would have wanted you to know I was informed about what was “good” or “bad” farming practice, and I shopped accordingly.

I had been a vegetarian on and off since I was a teenager, and cared deeply about the planet. I recycled diligently, carried a reusable water bottle, signed petitions to address the climate disaster and joined protests. I bought cruelty-free makeup, was fervently against animal testing. I was a conscious and conscientious shopper and consumer: I considered the planet when I made choices.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment