'It was like a red-hot poker': why the extreme pain of vulvodynia is going untreated

For 16% of women, using a tampon or even sitting down can be agony – and sex is impossible. Why do so few doctors know how to diagnose and treat it?

The first time I tried to have sex I was 16. I knew it might hurt and that perhaps I would bleed. I was OK with that: it was part of the mythology. I imagined that, afterwards, I would stare at myself in the bathroom mirror, like the heroine in my own coming-of-age drama.

As it turned out, I had to stop the sex before it properly began. An excruciating pain at the opening of my vagina shocked me into total stillness – it felt like burning and ripping at once. I was so consumed with shame that I couldn’t have looked at my reflection if I had tried.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment