Fit in my 40s: can I become a strongwoman?

It’s a big kick, the first time you do a chin-up. Or so I’ve heard


Fitness tips: how to perfect your back squat and deadlift

The equipment at the Commando Temple, a gym near my home, looks like the set of a film about marauders. They have their own Conan’s wheel with a built-in Viking press. The only way I can describe this is using language I don’t understand: it’s a long bar sticking up from a pivot, with a weight loaded between the pivot and the strong person, who then lifts the bar with her forearms. They have giant tyres, kegs, pulling harnesses, ropes, prowlers. More than that, they have women who know how to use all those things.

It’s an incredible kick, the first time you do a chin-up. Or so I’ve heard. But you’ll never get there (and I haven’t got there, and maybe I genuinely never will get there) if you don’t have form. After one session, I could easily imagine dying by accident (just from being so tired that everything stopped) but I could not imagine simply becoming better. That’s when I got a coach, Lucy Fry; amateur boxer, author, speaker.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment