I Tried Ritual Vitamins For an Entire Month, and Here's What I Love About Them

The last time I had taken a vitamin, it was a chewable Flintstones one - and even that I hated. Fast forward to my current adult years when my mother sends me bottles of "vital" supplements that just end up piling up in my cabinet (sorry, Mom). I tried, I really tried. But I was never able to take them consistently for more than two days. I eventually gave up on vitamins altogether, until one particular brand became completely unavoidable on social media. You probably know exactly which one I'm talking about, too: Ritual, a "reinvented" multivitamin for women, by women. After scrolling past its ads on Instagram for nearly a year, I finally caved and had to see what it was all about. And I'm so glad I did.

What initially hooked me was the fact that a brand was able to make something as boring as vitamins trendy. Why did Ritual appeal to me so damn much? When I got past the minimalist bottle and inexplicably cool capsules, I learned why Ritual was better than the rest. In search of the "perfect vitamin," CEO and founder Katerina Schneider eliminated all the bullsh*t in both her product and her brand. No synthetic fillers or colorants, nine quality essential ingredients backed by research, and 100-percent transparency on all fronts (including the vitamin itself). Additionally, Ritual sources its nutrients directly from suppliers they know and trust to fill the gaps in a women's diet.

Every decision surrounding product development is supported by science. For example, Ritual didn't set out to create a clear capsule just for looks. It found that naturally dry ingredients didn't react well with oil-based ingredients when combined, so those little beadlets you see floating in oil are dry ingredients protected by a coating.

Here's what's inside:

  • Vitamin D3: Helps calcium absorption, supports bone and tooth health, and is linked to both mood and cognitive function.
  • Vitamin B12: Maintains healthy energy levels by supporting brain and nerve function.
  • Folate: Helps make new blood cells and is associated with mood benefits.
  • Vitamin K2 MK7: Maintains healthy skin and is essential for activating calcium-binding proteins that are important for bone and cardiovascular health.
  • Omega-3 Fatty Acids: These healthy fats support cardiovascular and brain health, as well as maintain healthy joints.
  • Vitamin E: Provides antioxidant actions that support overall health and helps protect cells.
  • Iron: Helps build healthy blood cells and is important for mood and energy.
  • Magnesium: Essential for activity of enzymes and cell proteins that support overall health, particularly for bone, brain, muscle, and cardiovascular tissues. It also helps maintain calmness.
  • Boron: Helper nutrient that assists activity of calcium, magnesium, vitamin D and vitamin K2 MK7 to support bone, joint, and brain health.

I'm currently going into my second month on Ritual, and here are a few reasons why I love these vitamins.

  1. They don't make me nauseous. A huge reason why I always forgot to take my vitamins consistently was because I had to pair them with a meal. Ritual can be taken either in the morning or at night, and thanks to its vegan-delayed-release capsule, it doesn't dissolve right away. Instead, it bypasses your stomach and delivers nutrients to the small intestine where nutrient absorption is ideal.
  2. They're minty. Another quality I've always hated about traditional vitamins is its gross taste and smell. Each Ritual bottle contains a food-grade plastic insert infused with pure peppermint oil, which gives its vitamins a fresh scent and flavor.
  3. Ritual is subscription based. I never have to worry about refills because they're shipped straight to my door each month for $30.
  4. They're non-GMO, vegan, and gluten- and sugar-free. Enough said.

My life hasn't drastically changed over the past 30 days, but it is nice to have finally found a vitamin that I actually want and do take daily. As for whether or not multivitamins are actually necessary, doctors say that most people can get micronutrients (with the exception of vitamin D) through a healthy, balanced diet. However, prenatal vitamins are absolutely essential and women with heavy periods may benefit from magnesium supplements.

As for me, if healthier skin, immune support, improved energy and mood, and better health all around are as promised, I'm willing to stick it out and see for myself.

Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment