How to spot age-related macular degeneration

Every day in the UK, nearly 200 people develop a condition that can lead to visual impairment or even blindness. How do you identify the symptoms and what’s the treatment?

Fifteen years ago, Lorna Blakeney thought she had a lump of mucus in her eye. “I was sitting reading a book after lunch and suddenly realised there was something in my left eye. I tried to blink and rub it away. I thought a night’s sleep would help. But in the morning, it was still there. I didn’t do anything about it for two weeks, which was stupid of me, especially as my daughter is an optometrist.”

Lorna’s daughter sent her mum straight to an ophthalmologist. “But it was too late. I was diagnosed with wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD); there was no treatment in those days and I was told there was an 82% chance that my other eye would go, too.”

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment