Fit in my 40s: ‘My week as a vegan wasn’t all smoothie’ | Zoe Williams

This was probably my least healthy week since a period in adolescence when I’d buy a Marathon bar in every shop between school and home

If you want the short version of my week as a vegan: it was not good for my health. I used to think that I was already, basically, a vegan. I share their outlook on animal rights and the environment; I just happen to eat a lot of meat and cheese. I figured the meat and cheese wasn’t core to my identity, and I could easily fix it. That must be annoying for vegans: I’m sure they know we all think that. Having tried it, I realise now how hard it would be.

I had a huge hand, too, with a week of supplies from Nosh Detox – soups, smoothies, bean salads laced with the tastiest non-animal protein they could find, including a truly spooky dish of cabbage and tofu whose colouring was like the moon. I also had a gigantic, five-kilo tub of pickled vegetables, because I always do, though it turns out I only like them on top of cheese. But the real problem came with all the food I had to source and prepare myself.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment