I Put Magnesium Oil All Over My Body For Pain Relief and the Results Were Surprising

During a late-night Google session in which I was attempting to find a solution for the particularly annoying (and sometimes painful) leg cramps I'd been having, I came across the idea of transdermal magnesium therapy (aka rubbing magnesium oil all over your body). I had been specifically trying to find an alternative to Epsom salt baths, since after moving into a tiny apartment - sans bath - I didn't exactly have the option of soaking my troubles away. So, after some further reading, I realized a lot of the slightly irritating (albeit normal) symptoms I'd been putting up with were linked to having low magnesium levels, including painful cramps (yes, I'm talking to you, evil period cramps), headaches, poor sleep, impaired memory, and my good friend anxiety!

Why Is Magnesium So Important?

Magnesium works in our cells and is a really big deal as far as bodily function is concerned. It's an essential mineral our body requires to properly operate. It's also responsible for energy production and cellular reproduction within the body. Transdermal magnesium therapy (as the pros call it) works by applying magnesium oil, lotion, or gel directly onto the skin. These products are essentially a concentrated mineral supplement of magnesium chloride that allows for easy absorption into the body (through your skin).

Let's Talk Application

For the first week or so, I applied it every night, which is recommended for quick restoration of magnesium levels. Then, after two weeks, I scaled it back to twice a week, or whenever I fancied covering my body in this dry, slightly stinging oil . . . which brings me to my next point. To be really honest, there is nothing luxurious about applying magnesium oil, so don't be expecting a spa-like experience. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to have oily or tacky-feeling skin, but as this was a dry oil, it was manageable (and nothing chucking on a pair of long PJs couldn't solve).

Also, I had been warned to expect a bit of stinging after applying, but for me the sensation was similar to getting into the ocean on the first day of Summer: slightly stingy, but not in an uncomfortable kind of way. However, please learn from my mistakes and don't apply this anywhere near your legs after shaving (trust me - it was zero fun). After about 10 minutes the stinging feeling would subside and turn into a warm sensation that actually left me feeling really calm and ready for bed. And, yes, I know this might be a placebo effect, but on the nights when I've used it, I've found myself falling asleep easier and feeling more rested (read: less grumpy) in the morning.

Take note: I'm obviously not a health professional, so I can only speak for the results I've seen in myself, but after using it for nearly three months, I've noticed enough of an improvement in my symptoms to feel the need to share and get everyone in my inner circle to indulge in a bottle of the magic stuff.

Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment