Fit in my 40s: ‘I thought running clubs were a bit like raves in the 90s’ | Zoe Williams

I found one online in about five seconds, and it’s free, but they look like a fast crowd

I got into a sorry state with the run/wash/run cycle (I take it you’re familiar with this fitness-behavioural conundrum: you don’t have a shower because you’re going for a run, then you never get round to going for a run, then on day two you have to have a shower, because civilisation, then you can’t go for a run because you’ve just had a shower) and needed motivation. This means a personal trainer if you’re rich or get stuff for free, or a running club, which can cost nothing (and is sometimes a fiver).

I thought that running clubs operated a bit like raves in the 90s: you know they exist because you see people going to and from them, but you don’t know where they meet. But actually all you have to do is search online. I found therunningclublondon.com in about five seconds, and it’s free, but they look like a fast crowd, the kind of people who can wear parachute-silk shorts without making anyone laugh. I wanted a mixed-ability vibe, a place with different groups for beginners, and I found it. I won’t tell you which one, because my first observation was, these are not my people.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment