The Only Type of Meditation That Helps Me Eat Healthier Every Day

Photographer: Lexi LambrosNo Restrictions: Internal and editorial use approved. OK for Native and co-branded use.

I've done a lot of different meditations since I started teaching yoga several years ago, and although I've experienced some good benefits from them, I've never really stuck with any of them regularly. I recently started doing Transcendental Meditation (TM), though, and it's the only meditation that I actually enjoy doing and look forward to. I do it twice a day for 15-20 minutes, which sounded like a lot of time to sacrifice at first, but it's beyond worth it.

Aside from better sleep, happier moods, and less anxiety, I've found that TM has helped me improve my eating habits. Because I'm much more aware of my surroundings, my mind, and my body, I'm better equipped to decide whether I'm truly hungry, rather than simply bored or moody. This allows me to make smart decisions about when to eat, and it also helps me keep my portions at a healthy size. That doesn't mean I deprive myself of any food my body needs. I'm just making more intelligent choices every day to make sure I'm nourishing myself instead of overeating.

Ever since I started doing TM regularly, I also feel like my senses are more heightened. I can taste and smell food better than ever, and for me, that means I don't need a huge portion of dessert to make me feel satisfied. Where I used to struggle with eating a huge stack of cookies on a Sunday night, now just one will do the trick.

TM may not have the same effects on everyone, but it has certainly been a hugely positive influence on me. I'm curious to see how it will affect me after doing it regularly for several months, or even a year. If you're looking for a new practice to help you with your weight-loss goals, TM might be the answer!

Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment