Barbara Hulanicki: ‘The worst age milestone was 40. I locked myself in a bedroom and howled’

The Biba founder and designer, 81, talks about ageing, cheese and young friends

I went to live in Miami for six months and ended up there for 28 years. I met Chris Blackwell from Island Records, who said: ‘I’ve just bought 10 hotels, would you like to design them?’ We used to come here in Biba days in 1968 and there were fabulous vintage shops. Every year there’s new things being built, people coming in. I love the art deco buildings. There’s something really interesting happening all the time with work. I’m living by the sea and people say: ‘Don’t you go to the beach?’ and I say, ‘No, I’ve forgotten there is a beach!’

I hate time on my own, but there’s always people coming through. If you want to play, you can play; if you want to be quiet, you can be quiet. I do miss English humour though.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment