Rest is good for you – but is a growing obsession with tracking sleep keeping us up all night?
Evenings are something of a rush for Megan Hobbs. The 29-year-old solicitor doesn’t finish work until 6.30pm and it takes her 45 minutes to travel home from central London to the flat she shares with her boyfriend. “I go to Pret a Manger or somewhere about 5pm and grab a soup and a sandwich to eat at my desk,” she says. “Otherwise there’s no way I can get to bed by 8.30pm. I’d rather eat at home, but I can’t sleep on a full stomach.”
It takes a lot of work and organisation for Hobbs to get what she describes as “the right amount” of sleep. For her, a late night is getting into bed at 9.30pm; by that time, she admits to feeling “stressed”. On a good night, she keeps her room cool, quiet and dark and usually switches off her phone by 8pm. There’s a pricey milkshake containing hops to be consumed before bed, and a magnesium-infused sleep-aid spray she uses on her wrists and neck. For the past year, Hobbs has also worn a fitness tracker in bed to analyse the amount and quality of her sleep.
Continue reading...
0 comments :
Post a Comment