Fit in my 40s: ‘At climbercise, they trick me into thinking climbing’s a relief’ | Zoe Williams

The cardio was fine. The bench hops were extraordinarily difficult, and I pretended to need the loo

I tricked my Mr into going to climbercise with me by pretending it was like bouldering (which he does), only with ropes. In fact, it was like circuits, only with ropes. No, wait, it was like climbing, then doing circuits, then doing more climbing, then doing more circuits. I also booked us in to see jazz afterwards (there’s a club around the corner from the gym). It was like the 12 Labours of Hercules.

Top rope climbing is where you have a belay, a friend-come-counterweight at the base of the wall. Automated top-roping is where you have an intensely strong elastic (or whatever; I don’t want to talk about physics) that simply guides you down once you’ve got to the top. It’s extremely fun, which is why, if you’ve been to a Clip ’n Climb centre, it’s likely to have been for a children’s party, because it’s like bungee jumping without fear. As a fitness pursuit, it’s still worthwhile, since all the effort is in getting to the top, whatever kind of climbing you do (potential energy, obviously; oh, it appears that I do want to talk about physics).

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment