‘A shimmering spectrum of colour’ – the pain and beauty of retinal migraines

This rare migraine condition causes brief episodes of disturbances in one eye. Here, sufferers reveal what it is like

I’m watching telly when I notice a bright green blotch appear on the corner of the screen. I assume this is a glitch with the programme and continue to gawp until the advert break. I get up and make a drink, then realise the green blotch has followed me into the kitchen and has been joined by a red one. The blotches are similar to the imprint a lightbulb makes on your vision if you stare at it for too long, so I ignore it.

The blotches multiply until a whole shimmering spectrum of colour zigzags across my field of vision until it completely blinds me. My passivity is replaced by blind panic. Have I been drugged? Am I having a stroke? I ask myself as I feel my way to my local A&E. By the time a doctor sees me, the spectrum has faded, and I can see. The doctor tells me that my vital signs are normal and that I probably had a migraine.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment