Let’s resurrect phone calls. Texting ‘hahaha’ is no match for hearing a friend laugh | Hannah Jane Parkinson

I have started to appreciate an old-fashioned natter

Everybody has a mobile phone. Or at least more than five billion of us do. And yet nobody makes phone calls any more. In fact, the under-30s have been called Generation Mute, for their habit of refusing to accept incoming calls. A recent UK survey found that just 15% of 16- to 24-year-olds would choose phone calls as their favoured method of communication. I once read an article with the headline: “If I get a phone call, I assume someone has died.”

I used to feel similarly, but recently my opinion has shifted, and I have come to appreciate phone calls the way I did during my school days: when I’d almost pull the landline phone out of its socket in a desperate attempt at privacy, wrapping the cord around my fingers and spending a solid two hours talking to friends I’d just spent the majority of the day with; staying on the line for so long that the screeching dial-up sounds of my sister attempting to get on the internet would repeatedly interrupt, while dinners cooled and congealed on the dining room table.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment