A secondhand book is a glimpse into the lives of other readers | Hannah Jane Parkinson

You might pick up a book that changed a life. Maybe you’ll then leave it somewhere, and it will transform someone else’s

Something I will always, always remember because, even at age 15 or so, it brought me such joy, was when I bought on eBay a first edition of Sylvia Plath’s Crossing The Water collection (of course I did), and stuck to the page of the poem A Life was a squished dead fly.

I own a lot of books. Whenever I look for a new place to live, there must be a surfeit of shelving or the space to create it. The books come to me in various ways: as gifts, as new hardbacks from independent bookshops, as last-minute airport paperbacks, sent to the office by publishers (thank you), Amazon deals (I don’t think any of us are innocent of that). My favourites are secondhand editions.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment