Weekends are meant for folding back pages, for supplements sliding out of centrefolds, and failing at sudokus
I assume, if you are reading this in print, that you are a fan of Saturday papers. This Saturday paper in particular. To paraphrase Brian Clough, I’m not saying the Guardian is the best, but it’s definitely in the top one.
Amid lowering circulations, Saturday remains the most popular day of the week for readers to pop to the shops and get toner all over their hands during breakfast. (Weekday commuters increasingly bury their heads on social media or apps to get their fix.) Despite the fact that much of the UK press is on the verge of becoming stenography – not mentioning any names, but hello to the Telegraph – I still enjoy reading a broad spectrum, spreading the different titles and supplements across the table, like William S Burroughs and his cut-up collages. The Telegraph does still have great arts pages; the FT’s weekend edition is a fat joy; the Times has interesting features.
Continue reading...
0 comments :
Post a Comment