I started mentoring young people – and gave my own life a purpose

I quit a job in marketing to edit a youth magazine. I loved helping to launch careers (and to send a lamb chop into space)

Every morning, I would walk past my boss’s desk and see a mouse mat saying: “Keep calm, I’m in marketing.” For almost eight months, I’d stare at it, not really understanding what it meant or whether it applied to me.

I was in my 30s and had moved to a new city and taken a job in digital marketing. As the months passed, the more I felt it wasn’t the right environment for me. Since leaving university, I had always worked in not-for-profit organisations and charities. Being what some might term a “social-justice type”, I enjoyed going to work and doing things I felt had purpose – I could see their benefit and feel their impact. Working for a digital marketing firm, on corporate accounts, essentially trying to make them more money, just wasn’t for me. I needed to find a way out. Either that or embrace the mousemat’s advice to calm down, and give myself up fully to my marketing overlords.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment