It’s imperative you leave home, says Annalisa Barbieri, and soon

Over the years I have overheard my parents discussing me many times. I’ve heard personal, critical and sometimes nasty things about me and the direction I’ve taken in life. I’m sure the word “failure” has been used. I’m struggling to understand why. I didn’t excel at school – I chose to go down the creative route. My parents don’t share these interests. After uni, I struggled a bit; I decided not to pursue my degree subject as a career. I got part-time work and had little money, which probably wasn’t the idea my parents had of graduate life. I moved back home with no idea what to do. I had no social life or hobbies, and I was confused and I coasted. I can understand my parents not thinking very highly of me then.

Eventually I found out about a job that sounded just what I wanted – but it meant trying to break into an industry in which I had no experience. When I told my parents, they were sceptical. I moved to a new city with only casual work and benefits to live on. It wasn’t easy, but eventually I got a fantastic job. Unfortunately, after careful consideration I decided it wasn’t the career for me. I’m comfortable with my decision and proud of what I achieved, but while my parents appreciate some of this, they are disappointed. I moved back home again, but it’s not like last time. I’ve grown up and gained more confidence. I am starting a new job, but I’ll be working part-time, at least at first.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment