Fit in my 40s: ‘Yoga has turned me into an idealised Jilly-Cooper version of myself’ | Zoe Williams

More things than I realised have their roots in yoga, because yoga is at the root of all things

“Just because I’m not doing yoga moves doesn’t mean I’m not doing yoga. It’s the union of body, mind and soul. You could be connecting with your inner you while you’re running.” I never am. But never mind. Lizzie Chong, 26, teaches yoga at Twenty Two Training, quite a fancy place in London. I was just after first principles, or to refine that, one crucial steer: why do this boring thing, when I’d rather be doing any other thing?

So much of this is familiar from other activities: the 10 minutes we spent breathing was very like the time I learned to breathe (deep into your belly, out into your ribs like an accordion, into your chest, if you have any lung left). Connecting to your every muscle, even the ones in your fingers and toes, and feeling them relax, I’ve definitely done before – mindfulness classes, team-building courses, aerobics. The child’s pose I did at the end of a circuits class the other day. More things than I realised have their roots in yoga, because yoga is at the root of all things.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment