Remembering a fit of the giggles can make me lose it all over again | Hannah Jane Parkinson

As much as I love them, they have frequently got me into trouble

We get the giggles. We do not choose the giggles. The giggles choose us. It is entirely the giggles’ decision as to when they will join us, and when they will leave us. There is a reason, when I am roaring with laughter, that I say: “I’ve lost it.” (If I can get the words out.) There is a reason we refer to them as “fits” of giggles. It does not matter, the place, the time, the inconvenience – we are at their mercy. Our cheeks aching, shoulders shaking, tears streaming, nostrils bubbling.

The giggles are a distillation of pure, exuberant, atavistic happiness; and therefore one of the very best things in life. Some episodes are fleeting and do not linger in the memory. Others, when recalling the catalyst, will induce the same reaction for years, perhaps a lifetime. Muscle memory; the particular muscles being those either side of one’s mouth.

Continue reading...
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment